Monday, March 19, 2012

Tool 11

What are your favorite tools you now have in your personal technology toolbox? Briefly describe a particular activity that you will plan for your students using at least one of these new tools.
We've all heard, "Oh, there are some great apps for teaching"; however, they are especially hard to find for the upper-level, advanced-placement English work that we do!  Yet, I am particularly impressed with GoogleDocs.  While not revolutionary (some of you more experienced techies are rolling your eyes, thinking "How 2.0!"), it does seem to have the most immediate practical application for classroom use. 


2. How have you transformed your thinking about the learning that will take place in your classroom? How has your vision for your classroom changed? Are you going to need to make any changes to your classroom to accommodate the 21st Century learner?
I've always considered myself a fairly progressive teacher, but the 11 tools initiative challenges that perception.  I'm afraid that the biggest change I need to make is within myself, being more open to the possibilities of technology applications. 


3. Were there any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
Maybe this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I was surprised by my students' response to the ipads in the classroom.  I thought they would be all gung-ho about them, but their collective disdain for the cost of the ipads and safes in which to store them really shocked me.  One young man quipped that he would rather have bathroom doors than ipads.  I tried to explain that the money comes from different sources, etc, but I'm afraid I ended up sounding like an aging beaurocrat defending a dying institutuion.  I always thought that kids would do anything if it involved a computer, but it seems like comfort and security win every time!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing the 11 Tools course! I think most students live with mobile technology in their hands, but they are not accustomed to having it available in the t+l environment. They know how to use it for social networking and entertainment, but they don't know how to use it for learning, or maybe they don't want to use it for learning. One thing is for sure, students tell us over and over that regardless of the access to technology in the classroom, the relationships they have with their teachers are most important. We need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete