Monday, March 19, 2012

Tool 10

Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.
1.   I want my students to be aware of the dangers of the internet -- not just lurkers, pedophiles, and bullies -- but the dangers of misinformation. 
2.  I want my students to understand that the internet is not a true/false proposition.  They can't just trust some piece of information because they found it in cyberspace.  As quoted from the "Cool Cat Teacher" blog:  Stephen Downes says, "Indeed, a person who reads a website and concludes that it's true, no matter what it says, is dangerously illiterate."
3.  I want my students to appreciate that illiteracy (or having just enough knowledge to be dangerous), is no better than having no knowledge at all. 
2. Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
Though I can't get it to copy/paste into this blog post, I would present CoolCat Teacher's matrix of digital citizenship to my students, disussing the different aspects and areas.  Cetainly, personal safety would be a starting place; however, I want my students to understand the other important aspects (literacy, ettiquette, learning strategies) of the topic.  http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-should-be-done-about-digital.html
3.  To combat those ills, I plan on following the advice of David Warlick, who wrote: "Instead of starting with a web page, displayed on the whiteboard, they [teachers] should start with Google, demonstrate how they found the page, the considerations and decisions they applied to select that page, and include in the presentation, the evidence that what's being presented is valuable...When we model authority, we shouldn't be surprised when students look for authority in every piece of information."  For one of the Library2play initiatives, I made a video detailing how to search for and examine credible sources.  I'll try to post a link to it...

 

4. Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents. That's a good question!  I think that parents, like their children, hae been lulled into thiking that the greatest dangers of the internet involve people who would compromise the safety of their children; however, I can't think of a greater danger than allowing someone or something unlimited access to my child's impressionable mind. 
Remember the Alan November presentation when he taught us how to back check the owner of a website?  Something like whoownsit.com?  We were all shocked to see a Martin Luther King website operated by a facist hate group that could potentially color our children's perceptions of a man and his legacy!  I think that parents would be suprpised by the responsibilities of the internet beyond the basic safety issues!  Yeah, they've heard of Snopes.com, but there are greater dangers than urban myths lurking out in cyberspace!

No comments:

Post a Comment