Saturday, January 14, 2012

Tool # 6 - Wallwisher and TodaysMeet

Both of these tools are really cool, and I could definitely see real-life (if the classroom is real-life -- you may take issue with that notion...) application for both. I used both Wallwisher and Todaysmeet to create opportunities for kids to participate, one even in real time. 

Wallwisher provides an opportunity for kids to share and comment on each other's ideas.  For example, I made a wall dedicated to the developing subplots in A Tale of Two Cities - - there are so many!  My thought is that kids could go online and keep track of the different story strands and comment on their peer's observations.  The sample,  both in URL and screenshot, is included below.  This is a super easy tool to use, and one that I would highly suggest for those who are intimidated by the sound of this assignment.   

The second, Todaysmeet provides a neat opportunity for kids to interact with their instructor while a lesson is ongoing.  I think of my quiet students -- those who are reticent to either ask questions or make comments.  Wouldn't it be awesome for them to have a platform for participation?  And I think the kids would love the opportunity to text in class!  (Okay, yeah, that could be a problem, but don't we have to encourage kids to use technology responsibly?  And don't we have to figure out how to manage the possibilities?)  Anyway, what I haven't figured out yet is how I could use the platform in conjunction with my activboard.  I'll have to do a trial run.  All in all, this is a tool for the adventurous, but an adventure that might be well considered! 

As far as learning from my PLN, I hope that my peers will find some time to complete the activities and post about them:  I'd really like to see what people in my own content area create.  I was very impressed with the one completed model that I have seen thus far, and I look forward to seeing what others will build. 



Todaysmeet and The World is too Much with Us


1 comment:

  1. Look at you--already on Tool #7! I chose to comment on this tool because I think Today's Meet is one of the best Web 2.0 tools, especially for an ELA classroom. This link http://web20edu.com/2011/10/06/socratic-seminars-fish-bowls-and-computers/ is a post made by another teacher using the Fishbowl Socratic Seminar--great strategy for discussion as it includes every student. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete