Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tool #3

For your Tool #3 Assignment:
  1. I have used both Discovery Education and U tube before, and though U tube requires a good deal more of searching, editing, etc. to make clips suitable for classroom use, I find that it is much faster and easier to tailor to my needs than Discovery Education and the other "for education" sites.  My sister teaches 5th grade science and is always raving about videos and clips she downloaded and used; however, the videos I find seem a little corny and juvenile for use with high school students.  I wonder if anyone else has faced similar difficulties?
  2. I did find two and post two videos from Discovery Education that provide background information on Frankenstein.  I was impressed by the mature and sophisticated nature of the videos, and I think the kids will like the interview from director Robert Zemeckis, a name they will know doubt recognize. 
  3. Although the Fair Use video was really corny and reminded me of the School House Rock cartoons that used to play on Saturday mornings - "I'm just a bill, sitting on Capitol Hill..." - I really did learn something from it!  And, though, I might debate the word "Transformativeness," it did capture the idea and provide a foundation for the subtopics of adding value and repurposing material, topics key to understanding fair use and copyright discussions.  
  4.   I did not play around with Dropbox, but instead stuck with the more familiar Picasa images.  There are tons of images available, perhaps even too many.  I think I would be more inclined to use Google images than Picasa, honestly.   

1 comment:

  1. It is such a funny world sometimes...I was looking around at other people's blogs yesterday to see what they had done for the tools and I looked at yours! I clearly had to click on the video that said only mature audiences should view it and sat for the better part of 20 minutes very hooked by the video about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein! I had to snap out of it and accomplish something else with my off period, but I fully plan on going back and finishing it! I'll have to look for an interesting video for you to watch...

    ReplyDelete